Last Online
    04-17-2017
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wire Antennas~

Hello everyone,

I was reading through several posts here; and congratulations in passing your exams.

They ( The FCC and ARRL ) have opened the doors to amateur radio for all of us. If you study--you WILL get at least your

General.

There is alot going on, on the HF bands. Both AM & SSB.

If you want great results and want to save money; then make your own inverted vee (or flat top) and get it as high as you can.

Great to see the gang from Deepsouthradios in Manchester TN; you folks sure are great.

Here's a pic of what I'm using and it works REALLY well 75 meter Inverted Vee at 60ft to the apex.

Best 73

DLL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daddylonglegs; 06-29-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: wording
    Register or log in to view signatures!

5. Back To Top    #2
    Operations Manager

DSR-629
    NW PA
    Current Status:
    More Info About:
  6. PA629

7. P.M.Me Private Message Me

8. Members Id
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It really is kind of cool to see how well a simple piece of wire can work as an effective antenna. People think you have to spend big bucks to be heard on the air. At one time, I needed an invisible stealth set-up and ran an inverted V routed along the peak of my house, think I had about a dollar wrapped up in it. Worked just fine.

9. Back To Top    #3

Current Status:
    More Info About:
  10. Daddylonglegs

11. P.M.Me Private Message Me

12. Members Id
    Last Online
    04-17-2017
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PA629 View Post
    It really is kind of cool to see how well a simple piece of wire can work as an effective antenna. People think you have to spend big bucks to be heard on the air. At one time, I needed an invisible stealth set-up and ran an inverted V routed along the peak of my house, think I had about a dollar wrapped in it. Worked just fine.

629~

Isn't it just amazing? Right along the peak of your house..........

Last year my family went to St. George Island Florida and I took a 75m diapole and strung it up 20ft. in a pine tree for the center support

and around 7-8 ft on the ends that looked like it couldn't be very effective at all. However; I was dead wrong-----it worked VERY well

and I used a Kenwood TS 570 in our rental van and worked the whole half of the eastern USA...... and most of that was

using it in the AM mode at 20 watts!!!! ( Being 4 miles out off the coast didn't hurt either!)

Here's a few pics from the vacation.

DLL

13. Back To Top    #4

DSR-507
    Current Status:
    More Info About:
  14. NCMidnight

15. P.M.Me Private Message Me

16. Members Id
    Last Online
    09-22-2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though its not technically a "wire" antenna; This 1/2 wave horizontal dipole made from two 102's, with an ugly balun, 30ft above the ridge of my roof, out talks any store bought antenna I've ever owned. 30 years worth of wasted money. I should have done this to start with. I can't key up with DX rolling without getting my number called from every direction. Hindsight is 20/20 for sure.

17. Back To Top    #5

Current Status:
    More Info About:
  18. Daddylonglegs

19. P.M.Me Private Message Me

20. Members Id
    Last Online
    04-17-2017
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NCMidnight View Post
    Though its not technically a "wire" antenna; This 1/2 wave horizontal dipole made from two 102's, with an ugly balun, 30ft above the ridge of my roof, out talks any store bought antenna I've ever owned. 30 years worth of wasted money. I should have done this to start with. I can't key up with DX rolling without getting my number called from every direction. Hindsight is 20/20 for sure.

NC Midnight~

When I was in high school I ran a 1/2 wave diapole ( I believe about 8ft 6in per side ) that was ran flat top between two vent pipes that

I stuck two '' tobacco sticks '' down inside to support the antenna around 4ft off of the rooftop of a 2 story home. ( my dad really loved that )

It worked extremely well and I worked skip like crazy on SSB on a barefooted Realistic Navaho TRC457 that summer..

The 75 meter and 40 meter inverted vees that I run now have coaxial chokes at the feedpoints for whatever they are worth.

Last edited by Daddylonglegs; 07-02-2014 at 05:11 AM. Reason: typo

21. Back To Top    #6

DSR-507
    Current Status:
    More Info About:
  22. NCMidnight

23. P.M.Me Private Message Me

24. Members Id
    Last Online
    09-22-2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, At first the wife wasn't too stoked about it but the only thing that is really visible is the mast and balun. those two whips are all but invisible that high up. I've tried the coax wire antenna's but never had much luck tuning them, In hindsight I think I was just hanging them too low. I guess im too impatient but with the balun (4 inch pvc with 5 wraps)this one tuned out to basically flatline. The only issue I have with it is having to turn it NSEW for DX but its a small price to pay. I was using an old astroplane and it talked well but not like this thing does. Im going to try to salvage the astro if possible though for old time sake. I've had it for 30 years and hate to see it go. I was looking at a homebrew one on this site and think its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylonglegs View Post
    NC Midnight~

When I was in high school I ran a 1/2 wave diapole ( I believe about 8ft 6in per side ) that was ran flat top between two vent pipes that

I stuck two '' tobacco sticks '' down inside to support the antenna around 4ft off of the rooftop of a 2 story home. ( my dad really loved that )

It worked extremely well and I worked skip like crazy on SSB on a barefooted Realistic Navaho TRC457 that summer..

The 75 meter and 40 meter inverted vees that I run now have coaxial chokes at the feedpoints for whatever they are worth.

Last edited by NCMidnight; 07-02-2014 at 01:54 PM.

25. Back To Top    #7

WVa
    Current Status:
    More Info About:
  26. 256 wva

27. P.M.Me Private Message Me

28. Members Id
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow, wish I had a few tree's in my yard I could use, lol.....I run a G5RV here, which is on a pipe mast and runs across the back yard to a telephone pole in a angle....on the telephone pole I put a eye bolt and the last 7' of the leg runs through the bolt and is tied off 6' from the ground, seems to work pretty well like this, but going to move it soon..

29. Back To Top    #8

Alabama Gulf coast
    Current Status:
    More Info About:
  30. K4VIF

31. P.M.Me Private Message Me

32. Members Id
    Last Online
    05-19-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally prefer wire antennas. I'm working most all ham bands with a full windom without a tuner, about 35 ft up. Also, I've got a very long wire loop up 40 ft. with a MFJ antenna tuner. Both are suspended off some tall long-leaf pine trees. That's a lot cheaper than beams and towers. No. 14 stranded copper insulated wire available from local hardware. Both give me operation suitable for my ham experiences.

33. Back To Top    #9

WVa
    Current Status:
    More Info About:
  34. 256 wva

35. P.M.Me Private Message Me

36. Members Id
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to a end fed antenna, have the transformer end up 32' and drops to 20' as it comes across the front yard, not sure how well it can perform, but this is all the height I can get where it is, but works pretty well where it is.....I use the internal tuner on this one, and tunes for 80-6m bands....not sure yet if I will put it on the mountain side where the G5RV used to hang at.....may just put a 20m wire up there high as I can get it....

All I have to compare this too is the G5RV I used to have up, and the dipole was a lot higher than the end fed is right now....worked a lot of DX on that G5RV, which I stayed on the 20m band with it...

37. Back To Top    #10

PA, USA
    Current Status:
    More Info About:
  38. peterwo2e

39. P.M.Me Private Message Me

40. Members Id
    Last Online
    10-16-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is what i did , im very limited, have low power, have a G5RV jr, dipole have no high and surrounded by mountains. my dipole is 15ft up from my window to a low tree. a G5RV is not the most efficient antenna but it works.
    for anybody that lives in a restricted area indoor antenna ect. and QRP type power this mode will get you out 100% jt65, jt9 and ft8 digital modes all you need is a laptop or pc, the free software and an interface to key up the radio and receive, i use the west mountain radio rig blaster as my interface works great. i use this set up when i go home on weekends i manage 87 countries and 1,225 contacts in the united states in 6 months this year from wilkes barre PA. . with less than 30 watts 15 watts average. the rig is the icom 7600 with that build in antenna tuner excellent radio.